This network is for Geography teachers who would like to meet to discuss current issues in Secondary Geography Education and to work collaboratively.
The group will meet termly with twilight sessions running from 4.00pm to 5.30pm on the following dates:
- Session 1: Thursday 4th November 2021 at Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School, Hatfield or via zoom.
- Session 2: spring term to be agreed at session 1
- Session 3: summer term to be agreed at session 2
Who is this course for?
All Geography teachers – any experience.
What are the objectives or outcomes?
On this programme participants will:
- Discuss opportunities and challenges linked to the new GCSE and A-Level Geography curriculum
- Explore how Geography contributes to whole school cross-curricular initiatives
- Discuss changes in assessment in Geography e.g. KS3 Life After Levels
- Share best practice [to include objectives from other facilitators]
Areas of focus:
The course will include:
- Facilitated sessions
- Developing pedagogy
- Ideas for collaboration
- Reflection andreview
Meet the facilitator:
Janet Ruffhead is currently Head of Humanities at Bishop’s Hatfield Girls’ School and has been Head of Geography for the past 12 years. She has thirty years’ teaching experience and has worked in a number of schools in the West Midlands and at International schools in West Africa and South India.
She has held the role of Global Dimension Co-ordinator for over 10 years and has run whole school inset as well as supported staff in developing exciting and interactive resources across all subject areas. She has more recently led successful initiatives to support PP pupils and work to improve their resilience and self-confidence and arranged master classes and workshops for more able students