This course is for teachers new to mentoring trainees who are in their Initial Teacher training year or who are NQTs.
This will consist of one session as follows:
- 25th June 2020, 09.00am-12.00 noon at Sandringham School, St Albans or virtually as appropriate at the time.
Who is this course for?
Teachers who are new to or require a refresher for mentoring colleagues as part of Initial Teacher training through QTS, PGCE, Returner teacher programmes or in their NQT year.
What are the objectives or outcomes?
On this programme participants will:
- Become familiar with the National Standards for school-based initial teacher training mentors and the Teachers’ Standards
- Develop their knowledge of effective strategies for supporting and developing NQT and trainee teachers
- Gain an informed overview of the mentors responsibilities in supporting and developing NQT and trainee teachers.
Areas of focus
- How to be an effective mentor
- Ways to encourage your NQT and trainee teachers to become reflective practitioners
- How to manage difficult conversations and deal with challenging trainees and teachers
Meet the facilitators
Tessa Miles is Director of Professional Learning at the Alban Teaching School Alliance. During her career, Tessa has held a number of roles: Head of History, Head of House, Head of Faculty and Professional Learning Mentor. She was awarded AST status in 2008 and has since used her skills and knowledge to support NQTs in Hertfordshire as well as colleagues in her own school to develop their teaching and learning strategies.