This course is for teachers new to mentoring trainees in their Initial Teacher training year or as NQTs.
This will consist of one session as follows:
- Monday, 16th September 2019. 1.30pm – 4.30pm at Sandringham School, St Albans
Who is this course for?
Teachers who are new to mentoring colleagues as part of Initial Teacher training through QTS, PGCE, Returner teacher programmes or in their NQT year.
What are the objectives or outcomes?
On this programme participants will:
- Become familiar with the National Standards for school-based initial teacher training mentors and the Teachers’ Standards
- Develop their knowledge of effective strategies for supporting and developing NQT and trainee teachers
- Gain an informed overview of the mentors responsibilities in supporting and developing NQT and trainee teachers.
Areas of focus
- How to be an effective mentor
- Ways to encourage your NQT and trainee teachers to become reflective practitioners
- How to manage difficult conversations and deal with challenging trainees and teachers
Meet the facilitators
Yvonne Adshead is Assistant Headteacher with responsibility for professional development, performance appraisal, leadership development, Coaching and Mentoring, ITT and NQTs. Line management of MFL and Design and Technology. Sociology Lead Teacher.