You are required to fill out a Participant Eligibility form before booking one of our TSST courses.
Once completed and APPROVED BY EMAIL, you can return to this page to complete your booking.
The sessions in this programme will focus on KS3 and KS4 mathematics teaching. Each session involves theoretical and practical ideas and allows delegates to increase their confidence in knowledge, understanding and delivery of mathematical content.
This course will be hosted at St Albans Girls’ School in St Albans on the dates and times shown below:
- Thursday, 14th November 2019, 2.30-5.30pm
- Thursday, 28th November 2019, 2.30-5.30pm
- Thursday, 12th December 2019, 2.30-5.30pm
- Thursday 23rd January 2020, 2.00-4.00pm
- Tuesday 4th February 2020, 2.00-5.00pm
- Thursday 27th February 2020, 2.00-4.00pm
- Tuesday 10th March 2020, 2.00-5.00pm
- Thursday 19th March 2020, 2.00-4.00pm
- Tuesday 9th June 2020, 2.00-4.00pm
- Autumn 2019 – online survey
- Autumn 2019 – observations
Who is this course for?
This course is for teachers who are teaching maths outside their personal specialism and may not have studied mathematics beyond KS4 or may need a refresher on subject knowledge. This is also open to Returner Teachers.
What are the objectives or outcomes?
On this programme participants will:
- Gain an insight into key concepts and teaching methods for mathematics
- Be introduced to an extensive range of online and other resources
- Check and improve their mathematical knowledge of KS3 and KS4 techniques
Areas of focus
The course will include:
- Facilitated sessions
- Discussion of alternative delivery methods
- Tasks to develop personal understanding
- Ideas for delivering concepts
- Gap task on handling misconceptions
- Gap task on KS4 knowledge
Meet the facilitators:
Jeff Hughes started his career as a qualified teacher in Hertfordshire and since then has worked in schools in South Africa and London before returning to Hertfordshire as Curriculum Lead for Maths at St Albans Girls’ School.