This session will take place from 9am to 3.30pm on Monday, 16th November at St Columba’s College, St Albans
Fitness suites are widely used in schools as part of the PE and Physical Activity offer. This aspect of the PE curriculum has been shown to positively influence children’s knowledge and attitudes towards physical activity and contributes to sustaining a healthy and active lifestyle.
This new course has been developed to help schools recognise and manage risk whilst applying safe principles and procedures when teaching physical preparation to young people, particularly when using a fitness suite and specialist facilities. It meets the criteria necessary to show competence in this setting.
Aim of Course:
This course will support PE teachers working with young people in a fitness room and other exercise environments.
- How to maintain a safe and effective gym-based exercise environment with young people
- Planning safe and effective gym-based exercise lessons and programmes for young people
- Application of fundamental movement patterns to training, and transfer across a range of sports and activities
- Teaching safe techniques and progressions in a variety of physical preparation contexts including plyometrics, circuit training, fixed machines and free-weights
- Practical assessment – demonstrate the techniques and interventions you have learnt during the course
Who is this course for?
Members of the Sport England Programme’s 17 Schools
Meet the facilitator
Rob Thickpenny, Rob Thickpenny Performance Coaching
The host site will provide a sanitized room and will adhere to social distancing requirements and current government guidelines. Pre-course instructions will be issued before the event to each delegate. Any delegate suspected of having coronavirus or living with someone suspected of coronavirus must not attend a face to face training session. Should any delegate attending a session show symptoms or test positive for Coronavirus within a 14 day period following that session please notify firstname.lastname@example.org immediately and the ATSA will liaise with the host school and other delegates.
Due to social distancing requirements delegate numbers will be restricted and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.