This session will take place from 9am to 3.30pm on Monday, 10th May 2021 at St Columba’s School, St Albans. There will be a maximum of 10 delegates which will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Fitness suites are widely used in schools as part of the PE and Physical Activity offer. This aspect of the PE curriculum has been shown to positively influence children’s knowledge and attitudes towards physical activity, and contributes to sustaining a healthy and active lifestyle.
This new course has been developed to help schools recognise and manage risk whilst applying safe principles and procedures when teaching physical preparation to young people, particularly when using a fitness suite and specialist facilities. It meets the criteria necessary to show competence in this setting.
Aim of Course:
This course will support PE teachers working with young people in a fitness room and other exercise environments
- How to maintain a safe and effective gym-based exercise environment with young people
- Planning safe and effective gym-based exercise lessons and programmes for young people
- Application of fundamental movement patterns to training, and transfer across a range of sports and activities
- Teaching safe techniques and progressions in a variety of physical preparation contexts including plyometrics, circuit training, fixed machines and free-weights
- Practical assessment – demonstrate the techniques and interventions you have learnt during the course
Who is this course for?
Members of the Sport England Programme’s 17 Schools
Meet the facilitator
Rob Thickpenny, Rob Thickpenny Performance Coaching
The host site will provide a sanitized environment and will adhere to social distancing requirements. Any delegate who has had a positive lateral flow device test (LFD) or PCR test or is displaying coronavirus symptoms or is living with someone who has either tested positive or is displaying coronavirus symptoms must not attend a face to face training session. Please see the NHS website guidelines for further information if you are unclear of your responsibilities. Should any delegate attending a session show symptoms or test positive for Coronavirus within a 14 day period following that session please notify email@example.com immediately and the ATSA will liaise with the host school and other delegates